Saturday, August 21, 2010

Defying Gravity

August 15, 2010. Flight lesson two. 1.8 hours logged of flight time. It seems that the newness of the brilliance and shine of the first lesson has worn itself off. This being my second time in the cockpit, I got up in the aircraft somewhat accustomed to the settings, and the feeling of what it was to be inside of this plane.

With a smile on my face, I can say that my first time up in the air as a pilot was everything that I expected it to be. Being at the controls had become an accomplishment, and a dream come true. Although I am still naive about the whole field of aviation, the sound of the engine rumble, and the shake that it sends through the entire plane just as you are holding short of the runway is without a doubt exhilarating.

Although I can recount my first time going up, it would take way too long to account for it in this blog. I will make it short by say from the time the wheels lifted off of the runway, a smile had crept its way across my face.



This Cessna is an older plane. An '81 152 Model. While still a bit uneasy about it being so old, once in the air, I learned that she's still airworthy. As it is, there is still plenty of lessons ahead of me. After all, it was only my second lesson that I just completed. This flight training has been a dream come true. I am still a bit anxious. There is a lot to learn, and at this point, I'm intimidated by it. There's the medical certification, the oral exam, and written exam, all before you can get the "entry" level license. That's just the way it is.

Still, I look forward to this experience, what I am going to learn, and the experience that I will encounter. Some scary, some happy, but all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment