Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hitting the Books

This post is long overdue, but I figured since I have a moment, I'm able to provide this update. Better late than never!

Nearly a month ago, I managed to muster up enough discipline to sit myself down and initiate study sessions for the next milestone in my flight training: my private pilot knowledge test. This was something that I was actually not looking forward to. It meant that I would have to muster up enough structure and discipline to make myself study. To be honest, I had already had my fill of that lifestyle back in graduate school. The late nights, the rigid schedule, and the occasional naps. While the naps were cherished down time, I did not look forward to putting myself back through that structure. However, I also realized that putting off this knowledge test was not going to make it go away. Resigning myself to this thought, I began my study sessions.

Once I established my rhythm in studying, it came quite natural. Every night, I would sign myself away for nearly two hours and review practice test questions, make weight and balance and wind correction computations, review Federal Aviation Regulations, the list goes on and on. Then, using the study software I happened to be using, I would study the material that I was had just covered to see how well I retained the information. Scores were initially dissatisfying, but over time, they began to improve.

I found that using this method, I was able to cover all the material required for my knowledge test in about a week. This ended up giving me plenty of time to review and take more practice tests and after an additional four days of simulated practice tests, my test date had finally arrived.

A little anxious, I entered the testing site with my calculator, E6B computer, plotter, pencil and plenty of paper to make calculations on. I sat down at the computer, entered in all my information, and was soon taking my test. Again, I felt myself go into a cadence. I felt confident answering questions, because I knew the answers to each of them. Double checking my answers where I had to make calculations, I spent a little extra time on questions requiring numbers and mathematics. Finally, I came across one question that sent my head spinning. Trying not to get myself overworked, I concentrated, did my calculations, picked an answer, and moved on.

Time seemed to crawl by, but after about an hour and fifteen minutes I managed to complete my test. Upon completion, I receive a notification that I had not gotten all questions correct. While I would have loved to receive a score of 100%, I knew that this was probably not likely. I got the proctor's attention to let them know that I had finished my test, and also had the ability to review the questions that I had missed.

Looking at the test questions I missed, I suddenly felt myself get angry. I had actually missed questions that I knew the answer to, but in my cadence, did not fully read the test question. Still a bit irked, the computer graded my test- Pass. While my grade was not as high as I wanted it to be, a wave of satisfaction came over me knowing that I no longer had to worry about this test again.

While I never have to worry about this test again, I realize some mistakes I made that every student and student pilot out there can easily avoid:

1. Take your time. I knew I developed a cadence during this test, but it's a good idea to stop after every few moments and do a mental check of yourself. With the PAR test, you've got plenty of time to answer your questions, so take as much time as needed.

2. Read each question. Twice. This may sound stupid, but it works. The first time you read things, it can be very easy to skip over an important detail. The FAA test questions often want you to found out a few things to come up with your answer, and leaving out a word can cause you to miss a question.

3. Check your answers. No matter how confident you are in knowing that you got a particular test question right, re-read that test question and confirm to yourself that you got the question right. Don't just assume that you know you got the answer right and move on.

4. Develop a strategy. This is something that worked well for me in preparation for the test, as well as taking the test. I structured myself in a way that I would have a good amount of time to review for the test, put myself through some simulated tests, and then actually take the test.

5. Look at your available answers. The FAA likes to be sneaky with these. They can often put answers that have similar meanings together, or provide an answer that you may come up with if you make a miscalculation. Either way, these are some "gotcha" questions that the FAA uses. On the other hand, there are also quite a few questions that have answer choices that are completely illogical. These can definitely be thrown out, reducing your chances of getting a question wrong.

6. Practice, practice, practice. Once you've reviewed your test, put those knowledge bits into practice. Apply them the next time you fly or in the next opportunity you have to do them in real-time. This makes them practical, and easier the next time you do them.

7. Keep studying. Just because the test is over does not mean that you can give it up. This can be a pitfall to many pilots. You will need to be ready for your oral examination and your checkride as you continue on in your training, so make sure that these details aren't too fuzzy as you continue to build up your time flying.

While I can keep on making a list, I think seven tid bits of information will do for now. Remember to keep at it and don't give up. Once you build up enough motivation, you can make yourself do anything. Happy flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment