Friday, November 25, 2011

Racing to the Finish

Three months have passed since this blog was last updated and a lot has been happening as you could imagine.  Between this and the previous post, I have managed to complete my solo cross country, and begin preparing for my check ride.  I had the fullest of intentions to photograph and document my cross country venture, but once I was in the airplane, my focus fell to flying the airplane.  I had no time to take any pictures.  When you're up there by yourself, things tend to change a bit.  The security of the flight instructor is removed and it is your complete responsibility to ensure you're doing things right.

To sum that cross country up, it was one of the longest trips of my life.  Even though I had previously flown the same route with my flight instructor, I had no one to talk to, no FM radio to listen to, and at one point, I had to make sure I wasn't getting the C-152 I was flying caught up in the wake turbulence of a jet.  I even resorted to singing to myself while on the last leg of my route.  I had actually become that bored.  Never in my life was I so happy to see my home airport come into view on the horizion.  After landing and securing the plane, a feeling of satisfaction swept through my entire body, knowing I had just completed yet another milestone of my flight training journey.

Upon finishing one milestone, it is now time to prepare for the final stretch, which is preparing for the checkride.  For those who do not know what I am talking about, a check ride is a combination of an oral and practical examination from an FAA Examiner.  Think of it as an intensified driver's test.  To add further complications to the matter, my schedule is jam-packed with a rehearsal and performance schedule for a show that I am currently acting in.  This leave s little time for perparation.

However, I have discovered that I tend to work better when I have set a definitive deadline for myself.  This same thing happened to me during the portion of my written test.  I never set a deadline to prepare myself to take the test.  I kept (forgive the pun) stalling.  It was not until one day that I bit my lower lip, mustered up the courage, and set a date to take my written test. From that point, I began a rigid study schedule, preparing myself for that test and managed to successfully pass it.

Now in preparations for the checkride, my instructor and I have began going back to the basics.  Turns around a point, slow flight, stalls, engine out procedures, steep turns, navigation, takeoffs and landings, etc.  I tend to do well in everything, but my skills still definitely have room to improve.  Some days, I am able to go out and nail everything and other times things just seem to fall apart.  One of the many mysteries of aviation.

So from here, all I need to do is set a date for that checkride, and begin my preparations towards that date.  Feelings of nervousness and anticipation set in as the gravity of the moment begins to settle.  However, if I am able to pass everything completely, I will be a licensed pilot, and won't have to worry about another checkride again.  At least until my instrument rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment