Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Quest for IFR

Let's face it, I'm not an avid blogger, but after reading a post by professional pilot and avid aviation blogger, Brad of AirlinePilotChatter, I'm willing to give this another shot.  Recently, Brad, a First Officer for American Airlines won a bid to upgrade to First Officer on a B737 after faithfully flying the MD80 for over 10 years.  As he wrote in his blog, he mentioned his study and preparation process for transitioning to a new aircraft and mentioned that it was similar to "drinking from a fire hose."  I am somewhat familiar with this process, having studied and successfully obtained a Private Pilot Certificate and an Advanced Ground Instructor Certificate, but I can't imagine what the process must be like for learning an entirely different aircraft, and a jet at that.

However, after reading Brad's post, somehow, he inspired me to muster up enough confidence to initiate my next aviation goal- an instrument rating.  One of my new year's resolutions was to start my IFR ticket this year, and yesterday became Day 1.  I must say that I am somewhat intimidated having no other instrument experience other than what was required for the Private Pilot Certificate, and looking at approach plates and reviewing Federal Aviation Regulations, I once again feel like I am shrouded in ambiguity and the unknown.  At the same time, I urge myself to push through, and remind myself that this is only the first week.  Things are going to seem foreign and confusing.  They were when I first started out for my initial ticket.  But it seems the benefits of the IFR ticket- becoming a more proficient and safe pilot seem to outweigh those challenges.

So now, I'm buckling in, and preparing myself yet again for the challenges ahead of me, but hopefully a little more wiser this time around.  While earning my PPL, I was very anxious about getting up in the air, so I decided to fly first before ever sitting down to complete my knowledge test.  Looking back with my PPL in hand, I've learned a few lessons that I'm going to apply to this IFR ticket:

The Plan
Study first, fly later.  One of the reasons why I think it took me so long to initially complete my PPL is because I didn't complete my knowledge test first.  Once I did, concepts seemed to come easier to me, having the understanding of how it affects the flight.  Before I ever get in the plane to train for instrument flying, I will make certain that I have a passing grade on my knowledge test first.


The Plane
Once the written test is complete, it's time to jump in the plane, and a familiar one at that.  After trying to figure out how to save as much money as possible for this rating, I will be flying the same plane I complete my PPL checkride in, a 1971 Piper Cherokee 140.  This particular plane has had a 160hp upgrade and features a Garmin 430 WAAS.  Since I began flying this plane, Piper has become my favorite aircraft company, thanks to this plane's stability and easiness to fly.  I also happen to be a sucker for low wings.


1971 Piper Cherokee 140
The Timeline
Strategically planning for this new certificate has been fun for me, and if I have my cards right, I plan to start my instrument training the same week I started (and finished) my PPL.  This will be the first week of August.  I plan to sit for my written test sometime in July, giving me about 2 and a half months to prepare.  In the meantime, I have my simulator to use to practice shooting approaches. My foggles (view limiting device) and kneeboard have been ordered and should be arriving later this week.  Once I get into the flying portion, I've budgeted enough money to keep me flying on a constant basis each month until I'm ready for the checkride, which I'm giving about a year.  Personally, I don't want it to take that long, but that's my set goal.

So there it is, my next step into this crazy obsession with aviation.  I am looking forward to the challenges, frustrations, and joys this new rating will bring.  Here's to the quest for IFR!

2 comments:

  1. Mark, this is great. You said several things that really hit the mark. First, I am a strong believer in completing the "book work" before you start flying. That will save you time and money and make the process much more enjoyable once you start your flight lessons.

    Second, I'm also feel strongly about finishing what you start in a reasonable amount of time with few, if any, breaks in instruction. That isn't to say that you will need a few days off, but taking long breaks (like weeks and months) is counter productive and will only lengthen your training and cost you more time and money.

    Third, and for what it's worth, I can totally relate to how you're feeling. Everything is new. Each day builds on the next and you are generally expected to to have mastered previous lessons...that's the assumption anyway. I'll be in the 737 simulator this afternoon for Sim #3. Day one was pretty easy as we worked on normal procedures, takeoffs and landings. Day two was a whirlwind. We learned how to fly LNAV/VNAV approaches, something I didn't do on the MD80, and I'm amazed by how confusing it is. Today, we'll do the same approaches that confused the heck out of me last night...this time on one engine and maybe on fire!

    It comes fast and it is a challenge, but it's also a lot of fun. I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to reading about your training.

    Brad
    www.AirlinePilotChatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brad! Learning to do the book work first was a lesson I learned the hard way. But with this rating, I am determined to keep my costs low. As an AGI, I always tell my students to do their book work first before they ever get into the plane. And while they give me a confused look at first, they are more than willing to take me up on the advice after I tell them my story. Blue skies to you!

    ReplyDelete