Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back in My Element

You know, I've really been dreading this week. So far, this week has not been kind to me. Monday, I found out that I have a group project due in two weeks. Bottom line, I have no time to do it. Then, I failed a midterm. I was pretty pissed about that. And then, on top of ALL of that, my assistantship is forcing me to sacrifice a lot of hours this week to work on a program that we call "Haunted Halls."

This is where we are taking one of the community areas in our residence halls, and converting it to a haunted house. I wasn't too happy about this, because primarily, I see myself as a student first, and then a grad assistant second. Academics come first in my life, or at least I try to.

So anyway, long story short, we started doing set-up tonight for this event. It was like undergrad all over again. We were working with wood. Hammering, measuring, making sure edges are flush. I felt like I was back in the scene shop making a set for a show. And in a sense, I was.

For the first time in a long time, I was calling shots. I was making decisions. I was telling people what to do. Damn, that felt good. I have always enjoyed getting down, working with some lumber and building something. Even if it looks like shit.

So today, we put up three flats, and we will return tomorrow to continue building. My hands feel a little rough, and they smell like pine wood. My jeans are dirty from crawling around on the floor, and my hands and wrists are sore from having to use nails and hammers. Damn, I miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment